Monday, May 11, 2009

Intro

I did it.

Onnik spent a lot of time convincing me it's important to have a blog in english. Well, my friend, I finally made it here.

So, my yet non-existing friends, today was a very special day for me - I finally got to see Azerbaijani police department, or how we call it "otdeleniye".
But let me start with a little intro.

Azerbaijan is a young post-soviet country, which fought for its independence for ages and thanks to Gorbachev, finally got it almost 20 years ago. Many things happened since.

We lost Karabakh and our friendship with neighbor Armenia became a history, which led to many broken families, killed civilians and other tragedies on both sides of the border.

After "father" a.k.a "national granpa" a.k.a "nationwide leader" Heydar Aliyev came back as a President in 1993 we immidiatelly attracted world's biggest oil companies and piles of money in addition.

Hence, today we have a lot of rich ministers, rich relatives of the ministers, ancestral totalitarian regime, monopoly, corruption and so on. But we have McDonalds here, for what it's worth.

Anyway.
Today I've been dragged to the police station for walking with flowers on Flower Day. Ridiculous, u say? I agree. Read this if u're interested in more details and pictures from today's arrests.

10th May 2009 was a very special day for me.

Welcome to my blog.

12 comments:

  1. Nice launch, Fatalin!
    10th of May was also a special day for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new blog.
    Good luck and be careful with your passion for flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaay, I have blogspot friends now! :)
    Thank u! Promise to fight my laziness and try to write often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the new blog although I've only found it in the past few minutes, and by accident. Hope to see you manage to keep both blogs going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. >>Onnik spent a lot of time convinsing
    convincing

    ReplyDelete
  6. So? Didn't u get the meaning because of the letter?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was that addressed to me? If so, sure, I did. Anyway, just discovered it by accident and even if you didn't let me know -- :'( -- glad to see it up and running. Good luck! Looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol no, Onnik, it was adressed to a volunteer editor.
    I'm glad u found my blog although I wanted to let u know and stalked u in Skype for 2 days :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it's important for you to have an English blog--for one thing, now I can read it! :)
    Congratulations and good fortune to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been reading your Russian blog for a bit (thanks to Onnik - who else...), but I'm glad you added an English one. Hope you'll be able to keep multiple blogs going. Congratulations, Nigar!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, friends! Will try my best to keep u posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to your posts. Onnik is right! Great intro.

    ReplyDelete