Friday, October 16, 2009

100


Today is a 100 day since Emin and Adnan are in prison.

***

They say the freedom is priceless.

They also say that freedom has a price to pay.

No contradiction – a very simple truth.

What are we ready to do for the freedom?

Are we ready to give up a good job with a high salary? Break up with someone we really love? Leave the family nest?

Are we ready to go our own way and make our own mistakes?

***

Milli, two days ago you’ve turned 30.

You have always been the one to spread the freedom all around you with an insane energy; to empower the weak; to stay cool with the strong; to inspire the frightened. You have always been THE change.

I remember the day I first met you almost four years ago when I was different and you were already crazy :)

I also remember the day we met in London last year after a long no-see period. I’ve changed. And you… You just looked at me and said: “I’m proud of you”. I smiled, because that was all I needed to hear to feel happy.

You’ve always taught me to see not a person, but his potential.
That enemy is not scary – it’s just afraid.
That even the most difficult challenges are necessary.

I’ve never listened. And had to learn it my own way by making my own mistakes during these 100 days, while you and Adnan were paying your freedom price with decency worth being proud of.

Two days ago you’ve turned 30.

Your friends and supporters gathered together all around the world to celebrate the day of Global Emotional Warming (that's how we named your birthday), to remember stories about you, to drink for both you and Adnan and even sing ‘Happy birthday’ in Azerbaijani. Your birthday became a flashmob of parties in London, Paris, Strasbourg, Istanbul, Ankara, Budapest, New York, Houston, Moscow, Basel and other cities of the World.

Milli, we need you back.

Yes, we’re even ready to listen to your endless speeches and countless ideas all day long, spend most of the day in a wi-fi café where you schedule all your meetings, argue and dispute over any topic you want any time of the day. Just come back.

We miss you every day.

Happy birthday.

***

There’s always a price to pay for freedom – a crossroads of comfort and imaginary happiness with artificial green grass along it.

The road of freedom is frightening, frustrating, usually lonely, but exciting and sincere. Once we step on it – there’s no way back.

And yes, we will imagine our life if we took ‘that’ job every time we check our wallets. And then remember people who paid much more for their freedom.

We will dream of mom’s dolma while eating a sandwich somewhere away from home. Then we’ll call her, go to sleep sadder than usual and wake up brand new next morning.

We will meet our ex-lovers on the streets and regret the decisions we made a while ago, but only for a moment. Then, leave confidently smiling.

Because once we taste the freedom – there’s nothing like it in the whole world. No, it doesn't make us fly and forget the reality - it shows us the exact path we shud take to live the life worth being proud of.

And this is the price one never regrets paying.


8 comments:

  1. Nigu, you are person with a big and beautiful heart. Once again, i'm proud that you consider me your friend. And i know that Milli and Adnan will read your posts, will know about your actions and will be proud with you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. '..– a crossroads of comfort and imaginary happiness with artificial green grass along it.' a landscape reminds me of UEA, have you made trip recently? )

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...my father's already 3years in prison...it's awful...every day I'm living in dreams, I'm waiting for only my father's freedom to be happy till my end of life... about life I knew only love and pink color 3years ago... now everything's black&white... ehh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...that's really sad, I'm very sorry..

    Is the case political?

    I wish you and your family patience and soon release for your father!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never met u before, but i feel you. the strength and the loyalty to ur cause. happy belated birthday. the day of victory will soon come to pass

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, rhetoric is very good and makes me actually feel it. But...sorry I've difficulty to believe in future of Azerbaijan. I hope it will be good. I really want to hope. But it is difficult, to be honest with you. I always attempt to see good and bad in any event, to the point of being absurd sometimes, but it looks hopeless...

    The Image

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...unfair-being betrayed for their work for the future of this country
    ...lucky-for having loving friends and supporters like you, Nigar and many others.

    Upset? - No, I am not; work done won't go unnoticed.
    Jealous? - I am, in a way as I am not as great as those guys:)

    Price is being paid, change will come.

    www.themilliondollarcoffee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete