Thursday, October 8, 2009

With a Little Help From My Friends

Ever since I was a school kid discipline was my main problem. Waking up early, coming to the class in time, doing homework between drawing I loved so much and cartoons I could never miss - all these things were unbearable and torturous sides of my happy childhood. My bad grades have never been about not knowing or not understanding the lesson, they were always about the lack of discipline.

So, now that you, dear followers, know me better, you will probably understand one of the main reasons I wouldn't update my blog for more than a month.

Yeah, now we have no secrets between each other.

***

There are two main questions we ask ourlselves when no one is watching: "Am I a good person?" and "Do people like me?". Yes, however confident and independent we are, we still feel a need to find answers to these questions over and over again.

And this is what makes us human.

***

During the last month my life was pretty much about my friends.

I went to Georgia again, where I met some new, saw some old, lost some pretty important and rediscovered some friends I knew for a while now.

I came back to Baku to send off one friend who was leaving to do Master's degree at the age of 20 and to support two who've been in prison for more than 90 days now.

Right now my life is pretty much about my friends, hence, borders, prisons, pride and disapoinments, unconditional love and the same old unity you read so much in this blog about.

Many years ago a big guy named Soviet Union came to this region to conquer and make us be friends no matter what after dozens of massacres and clashes happened in the beggining of the 20th century between Armenians and Azerbaijanis. For a while we became friends again but didn't quite understand why and what to do with the memories of killed ancestors.

70 years later we decided to find the answers through war and new killings. 20 more years, several years of war and thousands of more victims have passed and we're still in the search, so drowned in guilt of the past mistakes, that being friends again seems like something unbelievably nasty and betraying.

Today, when my inner borders have disappeared, and I can actually enjoy my friendship, I face many others - physical and moral ones, and have to be strong here.

So yeah, since my life is about my friends - the border is one of my problems.

People always get shocked when they see 900 friends on my Facebook, saying this is not normal and I probably don't know most of them. Well, actually I do know most of them, moreover - many of these most are my actual friends.

"No", people say, "One can't have so many friends, it's impossible. You can't know them all well, you'll get disappointed". Well, what can I say? Whenever I actually FEEL like calling someone a friend I do it and I'm not sorry for that. Whenever I get disappointed - I move on. Should a friend that has let me down change my life views? No. In fact, the only time I ever got disappointed was a bit more than a week ago. And the only thing I can say here - it happens.

Disappointment - a new feeling discovered during this month of absence.

October 14th, 2008 will always be one of the most special days for me - the day I rediscovered people I've known for a while, the day I've found my TRIBE.

I was fighting my fall depression when my boss called me to say that he and his wife are on their way downtown to celebrate the birthday of our friend Emin Milli. And even though Milli himself was in NY at that time, people still decided to gather and have fun. I wasn't very excited about it but decided to go as the depression was kicking pretty hardly.

The moment I arrived something clicked. I realized I was talking to people who actually dig me and are at the same page with me. That night I came back home around 4am after several hours of talking and was absolutely happy.

Ever since - my life has changed.

In several days, on October 14h Emin Milli is going to turn 30 and will probably still be in the prison. Did it change our plans? No, he would never let this happen.

Emin's birthday is gonna be celebrated not only in Azerbaijan but all around the world. It's been only one day since we've created an event and we already have groups in UK, US, Turkey, France and even Thailand. :) Yes, whether Emin and Adnan will join us on 14th or not, whether the trial that turned into an endless comedy with bad actors and fake proofs is going to end or not, there will be a celebration for their freedom and Emin's jubilee.

During the last month my life was about my friends. As well as unity and loyalty we have always needed so much.

***

Am I a good person?
Do people like me?

Now, that we became that close, dear followers, let me teach you another word in Azerbaijani language - "dostluq" (dostloogh), which means friendship.

I've had a wonderful month which was all about "dostluq", realizing how much it means to me and how special my friends are.

I've also realized one main thing: the only people who can answer my two main questions simply with their EXISTENCE are my friends. Whenever I feel proud of them - I feel happy about myself too. Whenever I feel that there's someone standing behind me just to be there - it's the best confidence one can ever dream of.

And when it comes to discipline.. well.. once you have it all you become disciplined just out of grattitude :)

9 comments:

  1. No, you're not good person. You're a great person ... sometimes good on purpose, sometimes by accident.
    Yes, some people like you.
    Others love you, even when, occasionally, for whatever good or bad reason, they don't like you.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Владимир Солоухин. Стихотворения.
    Библиотека поэзии "Россия".
    Москва: Современник, 1982.


    ВОЛКИ
    Мы — волки,
    И нас
    По сравненью с собаками
    Мало.
    Под грохот двустволки
    Год от году нас
    Убывало.

    Мы, как на расстреле,
    На землю ложились без стона.
    Но мы уцелели,
    Хотя и живем вне закона.

    Мы — волки, нас мало,
    Нас можно сказать — единицы.
    Мы те же собаки,
    Но мы не хотели смириться.

    Вам блюдо похлебки,
    Нам проголодь в поле морозном,
    Звериные тропки,
    Сугробы в молчании звездном.

    Вас в избы пускают
    В январские лютые стужи,
    А нас окружают
    Флажки роковые все туже.

    Вы смотрите в щелки,
    Мы рыщем в лесу на свободе.
    Вы, в сущности,— волки,
    Но вы изменили породе.

    Вы серыми были,
    Вы смелыми были вначале.
    Но вас прикормили,
    И вы в сторожей измельчали.

    И льстить и служить
    Вы за хлебную корочку рады,
    Но цепь и ошейник
    Достойная ваша награда.

    Дрожите в подклети,
    Когда на охоту мы выйдем.
    Всех больше на свете
    Мы, волки, собак ненавидим.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, guys, it's so likewise :)

    And the poem is really cool, I've read it once couple of years ago, but today it's more relevant to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heartfelt and revealing! We are delighted and honoured to have you! Canimsan :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Canimmmmmmmmmm! Love u and proud to be ur friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love u guys, u're one of the closest and best ones :)))

    ReplyDelete